Today’s rugby headlines like Jamie Roberts to face Warren Gatland and coach suddenly dies

Here are the latest rugby headlines for Tuesday 19th April.

Jamie Roberts will face Warren Gatland

Jamie Roberts will face his former Welsh boss Warren Gatland this week when the Australian side Waratahs, who Roberts joined earlier this year when he moved Down Under, take on Gatland’s Chiefs on Friday.

Gatland was head coach of the New Zealand Super Rugby team, but took over as director of rugby after his sabbatical with the British and Irish Lions.

The Waratahs – who have won five games in eight this year are fifth in the table, a point ahead of the Gatland side – play the Gallagher Chiefs in the first of six games in the Melbourne Super Round on Friday and believe they will be more competitive. than last year, especially given that the Chiefs are without All Blacks lock Brodie Retallick, center Anton Lienert-Brown and first-five Josh Ioane, while midfielder Brad Weber is also set to play.

Coach Darren Coleman told the Sydney Morning Herald: “If we can build our team on defense and toughness, you have a fighting chance.”

Former prop man turned coach dies suddenly

Former Otago prop turned respected manager Steve “Cumby” Cumberland died suddenly at the age of 57 in Japan at the weekend, where he had coached for more than a decade after stints as an assistant with the Highlanders and Otago in New Zealand.

The New Zealand Herald reporting that his former teammate in Otago and also coach in Japan, Greg Cooper, said of the Kobe Steelers’ forwards coach: “He was a smart, caring, fiercely loyal man. I will miss him. His family was his life, but his friends were a part of his extended family.

Cumberland’s senior provincial career began with Manawatu (he played 25 games between 1985 and 1987) before heading south. He played 81 games for a popular and entertaining Otago team from 1988 to 1993, an era capped by a groundbreaking national championship title in 1991.

The English boss does not want the 20-minute red card

Leicester boss Steve Borthwick believes a red card should be a permanent exclusion from the pitch ahead of World Rugby testing an amendment to the law allowing sent off players to be replaced after 20 minutes.

The Tigers have had a player sent off in their last two games against French giants Clermont Auvergne, Guy Porter and Ollie Chessum, but have managed to advance to the Champions Cup round of 16.

borthwick said, via the Daily Mail : “My opinion is that a red card is a red card. That’s the way I was always raised. I watched football and if someone got a red card, they were off the pitch and didn’t come back. That’s been my position Overall now with the TMO’s ability to review footage there shouldn’t be too many things missed or too many mistakes made There are clear protocols in place so if someone does something that warrants a red card, a send out, then that should be for the game.

Former Wales boss: ‘Better progress late than never’

Former Welsh Women head coach Rowland Phillips has revealed he applied for professional contracts for his players at least three years ago before WRU performance director Nigel Walker finally put them forward this year.

Phillips, who returns to rugby as Merthyr RFC’s new head coach, replacing Dale McIntosh, after a two-year break, officially left Welsh Rugby Union in March 2020 but has been absent from his role since 2019.

“Professional rugby was something we campaigned for back then, so better late than never,” Phillips he told the BBC. “That was definitely the way to go and Nigel Walker took it and listened to people. He took that ambition and did something about it.”

“It’s been fantastic and it’s starting to align them with the pro teams by giving them the best opportunity to prepare. The gap is huge between the amateur and pro teams.” “There’s a lot of pressure on these girls now with people talking about them being completely professional, but it’s really only been that way since January.”

Phillips’ daughter, former Wales captain Carys, is one of 12 players awarded full-time professional contracts, while a dozen more have signed part-time deals.

The former Wales international will now take charge of the Welsh Premiership Ironmen next season and said of Sir Stan Thomas’s approach: “I was surprised at first but I’m happy to jump on the opportunity. Merthyr has been a force in the Premiership over the past few years. years and I hope to face a strong team and I hope to continue the success that has already been built.

Springbok star to backtrack on return to South Africa

Sale Sharks lock Lood de Jager reportedly turned his back on a return to South African rugby. It was confirmed earlier this month that the giant second row would be leaving Sale alongside his Springboks team-mate Faf de Klerk.

The second row had been linked with a return to the Vodacom Bulls, while the DHL Stormers were also interested.

However, according to Rapport , De Jager will instead head to an as-yet-unnamed club in Japan. De Klerk is also believed to be headed to Japan, where he is likely to become a top money earner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.