Paul Pogba is increasingly likely to leave Manchester United when his contract expires at the end of the season and he is understood to be hurt by the backlash from fans who booed him at Old Trafford last week.
Pogba was booed by United fans when he was substituted during his 3-2 win over Norwichafter which interim manager Ralf Rangnick said: “I don’t think there’s any point in going up against each other and targeting any individual person or player.”
Several clubs, including Real Madrid and Juventus, are in talks with Pogba’s representatives to sign him for free in the summer.
The French international has not ruled out staying in the Premier League either.
Pogba was also substituted during United’s 4-0 at the hands of Liverpool on Tuesday after suffering a calf injury during the first 10 minutes of the match at Anfield.
United’s medical staff will assess the 29-year-old to determine the extent of the injury.
In a comment, Gary Neville said it could be the last time Pogba is seen in a United shirt as the team only have five games left as they try to secure a top four finish in the Premier League.
Pogba joined United from Le Havre as a teenager in 2009 but exhausted his contract before breaking into the first team to join Juventus.
The midfielder rejoined United from the Italian club for a world-record fee in 2016 and won the League Cup and Europa League during his first season at Old Trafford.
But while he has lifted the World Cup and Nations League with France since then, no further trophies have materialized at club level.
Pogba appeared to be close to a departure from United towards the end of José Mourinho’s spell as manager after their relationship deteriorated.
Mourinho prevented Pogba from captaining the club, while the pair were also filmed having a confrontation during training.
However, Mourinho was sacked just a few months later and Pogba was reinstated into the team by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Injury has limited Pogba to just 21 starts in all competitions this season, and he and the club will once again end the season empty-handed.
Senior scouts leave Man Utd as part of recruitment review
Lead reporter Melissa Reddy:
Manchester United’s renewal will not be limited to the team and a new face on the bench as the club’s chief scouting officer, Jim Lawlor, and Marcel Bout, the global chief scouting officer, have left Old Trafford.
Fixing a contracting structure that has played a part in £1.4bn gross spending over the last decade with little to show for it has been delayed.
Lawlor joined United in 2005 under Sir Alex Ferguson, working his way up a promotion to chief scout in 2014, while Louis van Gaal had brought Bout on as part of his coaching staff before the move to scout.
A statement from the club read: “Jim Lawlor has decided to step down from his role as chief scout in the summer after 16 years with the club.
“During that time, Jim played a key role in the development of multiple trophy-winning Manchester United teams and was an important source of guidance for Sir Alex Ferguson and each of the managers who followed him.
“Jim leaves the club with our sincerest thanks for his significant contribution and best wishes for the future.
“Marcel Bout has stepped down as head of global scouting after eight years with the club.
“A respected figure inside and outside of Manchester United, Marcel has played an important role as an assistant coach and in strengthening our scouting capabilities in recent years.
“Marcel leaves the club with our sincerest thanks for his important contribution and our best wishes for the future.”