Nigel Pearson has confirmed that new deals are on the table for both Robbie Cundy and Timm Klose, though that won’t stop him from investing in defense this summer.
However, Pearson has been coy about the future for Cundy, who ended her three-year wait to make her Robins’ full debut in a 1–0 win over Blackburn in March. He has started the last nine consecutive games in the absence of Tomas Kalas.
Cundy’s contract also expires at the end of June, but Pearson admitted they’re down the road of tying him to an extension.
Before Saturday’s game with Huddersfield, he said: “Well, we need to get stronger in that area because the way things are at the moment, both Robbie and Timm haven’t signed for us yet.”
Asked if the club had made an offer for Cundy, as it did for Klose, Pearson added: “Hopefully, we’ll be able to secure both of them, but that’s not my role to do that. But we’re in the process of going for it.” that way”.
Pearson has been outspoken in his plans to address City’s defensive weaknesses by bolstering a backline that has conceded 75 goals throughout the campaign. However, there has been an improvement since settling on a three-point defense from Cundy, Klose and Rob Atkinson, keeping three clean sheets in his last nine games, including two in his last four.
Despite that, Pearson is adamant that he will invest in the problem area even if Cundy and Klose compromise their future with the club.
“We need to get stronger in that area anyway,” Pearson added. “Our objectives, we have them very clear and we will try to make sure that we can improve the team in general and the balance of the team.”
“We’ve had players that have had absolutely fantastic seasons. To say we’re finishing 17th because that can’t change now. We’ve had players that have been in incredible form for most of the season.”
“I think it’s pretty clear where we need to get stronger. That doesn’t always mean replace, it means strengthen.”
Pearson has begun the process of decluttering his squad over the summer after telling certain players they won’t be a part of the plans next season.
But the manager also revealed that contract players have also been advised to look elsewhere for opportunities as he outlines his plans ahead of the new campaign. Bristol Live understands that group includes midfielder Kasey Palmer and forward Nahki Wells, and City tried to move them in January due to the burden of their high salaries against a lack of first-team playing time.
Others with time to fulfill their contracts who also face uncertain summers include defenders Zak Vyner and Taylor Moore, midfielder James Morton, whom Pearson previously said is free to go. after a move to MK Dons broke last summer – and striker Saikou Janneh.
“That’s how we continue to shape the team. That will be, again, there’s no point in making sweeping statements about goals and players,” Pearson added.
“We know internally what we’re trying to do and they’ll find out when it happens. I’m not going to change my tact now to be too transparent in terms of who the targets are because I never do that anyway.” But what we’ll try to do is keep our fan base up to date on what’s going on.
“The retention list will come out as soon as we can and that will give an indication. There are also players within the club who have contracts for longer periods in the future who they know are not part of the plans so it is up to them to find them.” . your next chance.
“I have it pretty clear in my head what we need to do with the team and we are all working together here to make sure that happens.
“It’s important for the players to know that first, it can’t be public first. The players need to be aware of their own situations and the players who leave, they leave with our best wishes, it’s that simple.”