‘There is no place for racism in this world’: Ewan McGregor leads support for ‘absolutely incredible’ Obi-Wan Kenobi co-star Moses Ingram after receiving bigoted messages online
Ewan McGregor defended his Obi-Wan Kenobi co-star Moses Ingram after she said she had been harassed with outright racist messages since the series debut last week.
“There is no place for racism in this world,” the 51-year-old A-list actor said in a clip. Star Wars posted on your Twitter on Tuesday. ‘It seems that some of the fans… have decided to attack Moses Ingram online and send him the most horrendous and racist DMs. I listened to some of them this morning and they broke my heart.
McGregor praised the 29-year-old Ingram as “a brilliant actress”, “a brilliant woman” and “absolutely amazing on this series”, adding that he was “sick… that this had been happening”.
The latest Ewan McGregor, 51, has defended his Obi-Wan Kenobi co-star Moses Ingram, 29, after she said she had been harassed with racist direct messages since the series debut last week.
“I just want to say as a lead actor on the show, as an executive producer on the show, we support Moses,” the Trainspotting actor said. “We love Moses, and if you’re sending him bullying messages, in my opinion you’re not a Star Wars fan.”
Ingram, who plays Sith inquisitor Reva Sevander on the Disney+ show, took to Instagram Stories to showcase a series of bigoted messages she received on social media.
The Baltimore-born actress said of vitriol: ‘No one can do anything about it. There is nothing anyone can do to stop this hate. I question my purpose even standing here in front of you saying this is happening. I really do not know.
Ingram spoke about the sense of helplessness he felt amid the torrent of abuse he had received.
The veteran actor said “there is no place for racism in this world” in response to Ingram’s account of being harassed online.
McGregor praised Ingram as “a brilliant actor”, “a brilliant woman” and “absolutely amazing on this series”.
The Trainspotting actor said: “We love Moses, and if you send him bullying messages, in my opinion you’re not a Star Wars fan.”
“What bothers me is this feeling inside me, that no one has told me, but this feeling that I have to shut up and accept it, that I have to smile and bear it. And I’m not built like that,” she said.
Ingram added: ‘So, I wanted to stop by and thank the people who have supported me in the comments and the places I won’t be putting myself. And for the rest of you, all of you weirdos.
The Star Wars franchise released a statement in support of Ingram after she publicly revealed the harassment she had suffered.
“We are proud to welcome Moses Ingram to the Star Wars family and excited as Reva’s story unfolds,” read a tweet from the account. “If someone intends to make her uncomfortable in any way, we only have one thing to say: resist.”
Another said: “There are over 20 million sentient species in the Star Wars galaxy, don’t choose to be racist.”
Ingram displayed a series of vile messages that were sent to him in the midst of his role in the series.
A series of tweets from Star Wars social media pages showed support for the actress.
Stars like Eiza González and Kumail Nanjiani stepped in to support Ingram.
Gonzalez, 32, praised Ingram for being “consistently stellar” at her job and “beyond talented.”
Referring to their collaboration on the film Ambulance, Gonzalez said he “loved working with” Ingram and congratulated her on landing the high-profile role in the Star Wars series.
Nanjiani, 44, reposted the clip of McGregor, saying, “I’m with Moses.”
Stars like Eiza González and Kumail Nanjiani intervened supporting Ingram