Canelo Alvarez “NOT impressed with Gennadiy Golovkin’s win over Ryota Murata

For Sean Jones: Canelo Alvarez says he was unimpressed with Gennadiy Golovkin’s ninth-round knockout victory over Ryota Murata earlier this month on April 9 at their 160-pound unification in Saitama, Japan.

Canelo could face Golovkin in a trilogy fight in September if the Mexican star wins his fight next month against WBA light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol (19-0, 11 KOs) on May 7.

The fight with Bivol is far from a sure win for the 31-year-old Canelo, so there is a strong possibility that we will NOT see the trilogy between the Mexican star and Golovkin on September 17.

If Canelo loses to Bivol, the September date would surely be a rematch against the undefeated Russian. Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn hasn’t talked about how the scenario where Canelo loses to Bivol once or twice in a row would work.

Sean Jones predicts that Canelo will lose a 12-round unanimous decision to Bivol by a score of 116-112 [8 rounds to 4] on May 7 and will have to decide whether to push for a rematch.

It can be speculated that if Canelo loses to Bivol in back-to-back fights in 2022, the trilogy fight with Golovkin will be moved to 2023. Canelo would likely take a confidence builder in December to get back on his winning ways rather than risk a third fight. with Bivol.

“He did what he was supposed to do, win by knockout. not impress me, but it looked good; she seemed strong. But she never impressed me, even before. never impressed me”, Canelo Álvarez told ESPN in reaction to Gennady Golovkin’s victory over Ryota Murata on April 9.

It’s hard not to interpret Canelo’s negative comments about Golovkin as a sign of bitterness over his two controversial fights with him, both of which fans saw as victories for the fighter from Kazakhstan.

Golovkin should be the bitter one, as he would have made a lot of money if he had won both fights. You have to imagine that Golovkin would have made millions and millions.

Golovkin, 40 (42-1-1, 37 KOs), was coming off a 16-month layoff for the fight with WBA middleweight champion Murata (16-3, 13 KOs), and as he was wait, it didn’t. seem too sharp.

Golovkin’s power was still excellent, but his stamina seemed less than desirable and he seemed to have lost a bit of speed. Golovkin’s inactivity over the past four years has hurt his game, as he has only fought four times since 2018 against these fighters:

  • steve rolls
  • Sergiy Derevyanchenko
  • Kamil Szeremeta
  • ryota murata

Had Golovkin faced more formidable opposition more often, his popularity would still be through the roof. Instead, he fought four taper-level fighters, perhaps thinking that Canelo would fight him again.

For whatever reason, Canelo had other ideas, choosing a group of paper champions, adding to his track record and telling fans he’s building his legacy.

If you look at the guys Canelo has faced, it’s apparent he hasn’t been building his legacy.

He has been taking easy money fights against paper champions while fending off dangerous guys like Golovkin, David Benavidez, David Morrell Jr, Artur Beterbiev, Joe Smith Jr and Demetrius Andrade.

That fight is going to be for all the people who want to see that fight again,” Alvarez said. “[It’s] especially because people want to see that fight.”

“We are talking about the Bivol fight. I need to win this fight, and then we’ll see.”

“Maybe he wants people to forget the first two fights because they are too painful for him?” Golovkin said about Canelo.

Canelo’s opposition since 2018:

  • rocky field
  • billy joe saunders
  • Callum Smith
  • Avni Yildirim
  • Sergei Kovalev
  • caleb plant

Bivol will be much better than those guys, so there is an excellent chance Canelo will lose to him next month.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *